Saturday 13 August 2011

Raksha Bandhan

Today was the festival of Rasha Bandhan.  It's essentially Brother and Sister day.  It's a great holiday as sisters get to buy small gifts for their brothers and tie "rakhi" (silk thread bracelets) around their wrists to signify a brother's protection of his sister and her well being in the coming year.  The men wear the rakhi until it comes off on it's own.
Sisters on the other hand, get presents, like cash (and now it's easy to see why I like this) from their brothers.  The day is spent visiting family and eating sweets.  It sounds pretty wonderful to me.  This whole month is full of festivals.  This is the first one.
When  was out shopping today, I saw the rakhi in the stores.  They are quite pretty and can be really simple, such a red cord with some simple beading, to more elaborate ones with rhinestones. or even some that were silver.
Sigh--thinking about this holiday has made me homesick for my own irritating, yet lovable brother. 

1 comment:

  1. Syl, I love reading your posts. Can I share the blog link in a few online places?

    BTW, my mom is reading and is also enjoying your Sylvia-ness.

    Miss you.
    h

    ReplyDelete