Monday 22 August 2011

Food

It's a late evening (almost 10) and I've just finished up with work for the day.  As I'm slurping my ramen noodles (ordering room service will just take too long), I've realized that I've been totally remiss and really haven't talked at all about food and there is a lot to talk about.   To the right is a drink that I had that was a blend of coconut water, kiwi and milk.

One thing that I've learned is that I love spicy food.  This is good as everything has a bite, including my rather yummy noodles.  They're making my nose run.  The other thing is that I could spend my entire month in Bombay and never eat Indian food, not that I would want to. It would just be wrong to be another country and not sample the good.

Until this week, when my colleague had to go away on a trip of his own, his wife and mother very graciously and generously made lunch for me.  They made it extra special and lunch became my favouite meal of the day as I couldn't wait to see what Indian specialty they put together for us.   Aside from being so tasty, they made a fresh lunch each morning.  I can't thank them enough for their kindness.

I've learned I'm definitely a fan of paneer, which is a firm cheese.  I think I've raved about it already.  Okra, called lady fingers here, is also delicious,  Who knew?  I wish I had taken  a few pictures.  Home cooking is always delicious.  Beware, I'm bringing back an Indian cook book and everyone will be subject to my attempts at cooking.  I'll hand out Immodium as a party favour.

I just had an a-ha moment.  One vegetable I really enjoyed is just called drumsticks.  It's cooked and then the pulp sucked out of it.  It sort of tastes like artichokes.  In my google search to find out what it is, I found  it is actually the pod from a Moringa tree.  For anyone who shops at the Body Shop, you'll recognize that one of their scents is Moringa.  So not only good smelling but good for you.  I wonder if we can get it in Canada?  I think a trip to little India is in order when I get home.

My food benefactors also supplied us with some desserts.  I had a hands down favourite, called "sheera".  It was so yummy, I requested it a second time.  It's deceptively simple.  Flour, ghee (clarified butter), milk, cardamon and then sprinkled with chopped almonds.  I'm posting the recipe below.  It calls for wheat rava, which is semolina.  It takes no time to put together, so I'm told, and is just really, really good.  Now everyone knows what they will be getting for dessert following the aforementioned dinner.

I have much more to talk about, food-wise, and will very soon.  But I still have a bit of work to do and my bed is calling my name.  The recipe below serves two.

Ingredients:
Wheat sooji (wheat rava) (semolina) 1 cup
Sugar 3/4 cup
Ghee 1 tbl spn
Cloves 2-3
Raisins(Dried grapes) & Cashews 1 tea spn  (I had it with chopped almonds, no raisins)
Milk 1/2 cup
Water 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder 1/2 tea spoon
Saffron(optional) a pinch
Method:
Heat ghee and add cloves, cashews and raisins, fry for sometime. Add wheat sooji and fry on low flame till the nice aroma comes out. Add sugar, milk and water(add the saffron dissolved in water). Close and cook till water is absorbed. Add cardamom powder and mix well. Serve hot (it was good at room temperature, too)
Preparation time : 10min
 










No comments:

Post a Comment