Monday 8 August 2011

And the jetlag hits...

I'm sorry to say that I did not get around a bit on Sunday.  Instead, I slept for 12(!!) hours.  Once I settled into my hotel and watched the end of the horrible Bruce Willis move, I finally settled down to sleep.  And I slept. And I slept.  When I finally came to, I was horrified to find out that it was 4:30 in the afternoon.  

Fortunately, one of my co-workers here and his lovely wife took me out for dinner in the evening.  I'd forgotten the very critical, anti-frizz stuff for my hair, and I needed clothes hangers.  The four that were in my room didn't even start to be enough.  So off we went to the mall.  There are two HUGE malls nearby.  The InOrbit and the Infinity Mall.  They have a few cool twists, but a pretty much the same as any mall.  Once I'm more awake, I'll do some exploring.  InOrbit has a supermarket (a hypermarket) and that's one of my stops tomorrow.

Am watching the following program while I type this.  Between host and guest, they've become misty at least three of four time already.  Boo hoo--I'm gorgeous and rich but am not good enough for the woman I love.  It's kind of fun and sappy. (And now he's crying in earnest.  The women in the audience are melting)

http://www.starworld.in/simiselectsindiasmostdesirable/home.aspx

Favourite random thing so far, is the small handheld shower that's beside the toilet.  I noticed it in my hotel room, thought it clever as it takes up much less space than a bidet.  However, the handheld is also in the women's washroom at the office.  I'm going to scope it out at the mall, too.  It's just research, of course.

What's really hitting me though, is the poverty.  On the ride home, right outside of the expensive mall, there are children tapping on the car windows begging, or men and women selling balloons.  It's very hard to just look ahead and ignore them.  Tomorrow, I'm likely taking an autorickshaw and am a little nervous.  There was one ahead of us on the drive home and the kids were practically climbing in.  Ugh. 

A final note--tomorrow I've been cleared to eat Indian food.   Hooray!  Everyone has been very concerned about my digestive track, but I'm ready.

Two more hours and bed.  I cannot wait.  I've slept exactly two hours in the last 28 hours.  So very tired.






No comments:

Post a Comment