Saturday 13 August 2011

Bombay Traffic

I've noticed that the people who live here all interchange the name between Mumbai and Bombay.  Bombay became Mumbai in 1997 and I've noticed that anyone that's more or less my age calls it Bombay.  Bombay just sounds more romantic.

I've been mastering the art of street crossing.  When I visit New York, I'm always secretly smug when I jay walk like the rest of the New Yorkers.  Here, it's a whole different story.  The only way to cross the street is to dodge the traffic. The original hotel was on one of the busiest intersections in the city.  To get across the street and a turning lane takes about five minutes.  I just look for the tiniest break in the traffic and go.  People honk, but generally stop.  What would be a three lane street in Toronto is a free for all here.  A red light is merely a suggestion to stop.  If the rest of the traffic is moving, you move with it.  The drivers here are incredible.  I've noticed a lot of cars with a lot of little dings and scratches, but have yet to actually see an accident, even though they are a leading cause of death in the city.  People squeeze their vehicles into the tiny spots and are mere inches from each other.  Their fingers are constantly on the horn and they have to use it.  It's how everyone lets the other drivers know that they are there.
 The noise is constant, although now that I've been here a week, I'm noticing it a lot less.  It's just another aspect to this city and I'm beginning to really like it here.  It's hard because I am SO foreign. Wandering around today, everyone was checking me out.  One of these things was definitely  not like the other.
Below, for your viewing and listening pleasure is a short video of the corner, taken the same time I took the above picture.  The traffic was really light that day (and I'm not joking).
Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to another day of traffic dodging.   I want to have high tea at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel.  It's apparently gorgeous and the room where they serve tea is virtually unchanged.  It's been part of the hotel since it's inception.  If it's good enough for Oprah, it's good enough for me.  I know Oprah has been there as she's on billboards for the hotel all over the place, holding up the complimentary Mont Blanc pen you apparently receive if you stay there. 








1 comment:

  1. Sylvia: Love your new blog...it's so interesting to see India from your perspective. I can't wait to read more about your adventures. The video is awesome! Hope to hear and see more from you...(And please be extra careful crossing that street!) ...Carol H.

    ReplyDelete