Wednesday 10 August 2011

Moving! Hooray!


I'm so pleased. On Friday morning I'm moving to another hotel. This hotel, although it looks fine, has couple of things against it. The neighbourhood is a bit sketchy. It's not exactly a walking around neighbourhood despite it being so close to a couple of large, upscale malls. I've learned though, that this city is just like that. Poverty is just outside the door and people just basically ignore it. My second problem is how this place smells. It's damp smelling and it just really bothers me. I can taste it and am NOT getting used to it, as I expected to.

When I mentioned it to my co-worker today (and told his the story of my unfortunate neighbour who spent last night either vomiting or flushing the toilet) he sprang into action. At lunchtime, we took a look at another hotel close to the office. The hotel was ok, but the road was indescribably rough. It went from pavement to a rutted dirt road that was barely navigable. The potholes were filled with rocks. The area where the client (and this hotel) is a reclaimed dump. But there are still areas that haven't really been properly covered up and one of those areas was near this hotel. It was not a place for me.

The other hotel is the hotel that my co-worker wanted to put me in, in the first place. It's a bit further away from the office, but in a much better neighbourhood, called Andheri West. There are lots of restaurants, coffee shops and an open air market street. And the hotel is fantastic. Very boutique. The rooms are large and lovely and odourless. Just walking into the lobby made me happy. And the coolest thing? My personal 24/7 butler. He's there to unpack my clothes, do my ironing (yeah, like he can do it properly), get me a Wii or PS3 if I feel like playing and generally make sure that I don't have to look after anything at all. Heavenly, but kind of weird at the same time. I don't know if I want a strange man touching my unmentionables.

Work is work. I'm still sick, but looking forward to a long weekend here. Monday is Independence Day. On the weekend, I'm hiring a tourist taxi that will take me around the city for the day. Finally, a real adventure. 

Actually, I should correct myself. To get to the hotel today, we took an auto-rickshaw. The drivers are fearless and you just have to hold on. It's like flat roller coaster with horrible air pollution. It was a blast.









2 comments:

  1. Glad you will have a new room soon. And, I would only iron your stuff with lavender spray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL-of course! I wouldn't expect less! I'm going to be spoiled when I get home. Every morning when I come to the office, there is a bottle of water waiting for me at my desk. Within about 10 minutes, I'm brought a cup of coffee (a latte, because that's what I asked for on day 1) and will get cookies in about an hour or so. There is staff here to look after the staff.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete