Tuesday 16 August 2011

Bombay's Stray Dogs

First, a quick note on my new favourite thing, paneer.  It's a firm, fresh cheese that can be cooked in a tandoor or as the protein in a saucy dish.  At first I thought it was firm tofu (it has the same texture), until my colleague set me straight and let me know what is was and that tofu is for tourists in restaurants and isn't eaten at all by everyday Indians.  I'm totally hooked.  I had it for lunch today and now had it for dinner.  I'm living dangerously.  Not only is my food getting spicier and spicier, but I'm also not caring if there are ice-cubes in my drink.  Ice-cubes are generally not the traveller's friend.  So far, so good, but I'm sure I'll be paying the piper at some point. :)

Anyway...on to my point.  I think it's pretty obivious that, for whatever, completely unexpected reason, I totally love this city.  I haven't figured it out and not spending a lot of time on it, it's just there.  I think part of why I like it are the stray dogs.  Don't get me wrong, it's a serious problem here as they can carry rabies and are really just scavengers.  I did a little googling.  Their breed is known as Pariah dogs and have been around for as much as 14 000 years.  However, they can also be kept as pets and if I lived here, I'd bring an extra sandwich or two to work.

The dogs are quite attractive.  Medium sized, short hair, pointy little ears--they are clearly a "breed".  I've been told that at night, they can be quite vicious and have been know to attack people on scooters or motorcycles, but during the day, they are just these random dogs wandering around; sleeping under cars or on the side of the road or running around playing with each other.  Having to step over a sleeping dog makes the city seem that much more friendly, at least to me.  I can't help but smile when I walk by snoozing dogs on my way up the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment