Saturday 18 February 2012

Last Sunday :)

This is a short post as the day was merely "meh" instead of the fun that I had hoped for.

One of the things that I had been looking forward to was a trip back to Colaba and tea at the Taj Palace.  I had reserved a car and was so looking forward to my old haunt.  Unfortunately, it wasn't quite the same.

It is high season for tourists and since this is almost my third week here and every day has been sunshine and every evening cooling down to just the right temperature, I can see why.

I wandered around and saw my old haunts, including checking out my favourite building, but there were scads and scads of tourists.  When I went to lunch at my favourite cafe, I had a 20 minute wait and when I made it to the Taj  for tea, the only available table had no view.  So it was ok, still interesting and still the neighbourhood I like the best, but I think I prefer it in the pouring rain when I'm practically all alone, rather than having to share it in the sunshine with the rest of the pushy tourists.

And I can't believe that I almost forgot the best part.  As I was walking around, I was stopped by a man who blessed me.  He had me eat this little white sugary candies, wrapped my right wrist with a piece of yellow, red and orange wool and gave me a marigold that I was too keep in my pocket for food fortune.  I remember him from the last time I was here, he blessed me then, too.  I went with it again, though, and when he suggested a "donation" of 500 rupees (10 bucks), I just gave it to him (last time I haggled him down to 150).  I just wasn't in the mood to haggle over my good fortune.  In fact, I wasn't in a haggling mood at all, so perhaps that's part of the reason of my discontent with Colaba that day.

Below is a horrible picture of me, post blessing.






No comments:

Post a Comment