Wednesday 8 February 2012

Jet lag

I suffer from terrible jet lag.  I think that I'm just prone to it in general, but I think it has more to do with how much and how well I can sleep on a plane.  It doesn't matter if it's a flight for an hour or  ten hours, the second I sit down and get comfortable, I can feel my eyelids droop and I want to nod off.  

I made it through the first couple of workdays because I had to and was thoroughly relieved when I found out I didn't have to work on Saturday, because it would give me a chance to get out.  I mentally made plans to get up early, grab a few groceries and make my way down to Colaba to my beloved Taj Hotel and have high tea.

The reality was this:

1)  Woke up early and continued to overplan my day.
2)  Went down to breakfast where I had two enormous cappucinos
3)  Got back to my room and thought, well, maybe I'll read a few pages before I walk to the shops
4)  Hmmm, am feeling very tired, maybe a little bit of a nap
5)  Slept through the alarm and work up shortly after 4
6)  Finally made it to the shops (found a great shirt on sale for 300 INR--6 dollars), got my few groceries and              started home.
7)  Stopped at a restaurant for dinner.

Then the fun started.  I was still really tired and had that clumsiness that comes with that.  The restaurant that I chose was rather dimly lit (I say this in my defense) and I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to my surroundings.

Once I was done and ready to leave, the first stupid thing that happens is as I'm putting my bag over my shoulder, I knock off my glasses and they go flying at least ten feet.  One of the waiters has to find them for me because I can't see them on the dark floor.  Thank him, get to my feet, and boom! down I go.  There was a little step down that I hadn't noticed and bags, everything, went flying.  I felt like a total idiot.  Again, the waiter helps me get my things together and then worst of all, makes me take the elevator the single floor down to the entrance--and comes with me.  It's been a long, long time since I've felt that foolish and embarrassed..  The saving grace is that the meal was mediocre at best so my decision never to show my face there again is not at the expense of a good dinner.

I did end up with a pretty amazing looking bruise on my left knee.  A bit of a war wound of sorts. :)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sylvia: I'm glad you finally got some posts up on this site (we were looking for them). We love your stories especially this one ...too funny!! Thank goodness your glasses didn't break! Keep up the great posts - we love hearing your everyday adventures. Carol (& Aira).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol and Aira,

    Nice to hear from you! Trip is busy, but I'm getting back into the groove.

    Take care and I'll see you when I'm back.

    ReplyDelete