Sunday 4 September 2011

Zurich Airport

I'm on my way home!  I'm sitting in the lounge in the Zurich airport, looking out over mountains, drinking delicious coffee, eating an even more delicious croissant and a juicy, ripe nectarine.  I will admit it is nice not to even think about the water the nectarine was washed in.  I had my share of tummy troubles through this trip.

I left India at 12:50 AM local time Sunday morning.  What a zoo.  With the festival (see previous post) still going on, traffic was a nightmare.  It took 90 minutes to get to the airport.  Then I had to queue up to just into the airport.  There was a security person checking tickets and passports.  Only people departing on flights are allowed in.  Then a another line-up for immigration, then security.  I don't quite get having to go through immigration.  All he did was stamp my passport.  India has a lot of unneeded bureaucracy.

I flew here on Swiss Airlines and have seven hour layover here that's actually almost over.  I did bit of poking around in the shops, but way too expensive.  Even the duty free is way over-priced.  That did not stop me from buying a 10 Euro magnet, though.  When will I be in Switzerland again?

So the lounge it is.  After all the crush in Mumbai, it's really relaxing to just be hanging out where it's quiet and not crowded.  I wish I had a couple of days to stay here.  I've never been to Switzerland and would have loved to have had some extra time to play the tourist.

A funny thing that I'm totally aware of, is how much I smell of the city.  I did notice when I was there that after  taking a shower and washing my hair, I didn't smell of the products I used, I just smelled like the water.  I didn't notice it at the time, but now that I'm away from it, it's definitely there.  I sat down and got a whiff of Bombay.  And no, I am not feeling nostalgic, despite how much I enjoyed my time there.  Right now, the focus is on getting home although I am dreading unpacking.  That is my least favourite thing to do when I get back from a trip.

At least I'm going to get to have non-frizzy hair again.  Not only is is practically fall, the best season of the year, hopefully it's not too humid in Toronto anymore.  See everyone soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment