Saturday 10 September 2011

An afternoon in Washington DC

I had to be here for work on Friday morning, but am spending the weekend here to visit with a friend.

One of the best things about Washington is the Metro.  It's reasonably cheap and such an easy way to get around the city.  I booked my hotel on some hotel points that have just been kicking around and got a great deal on the JW Marriott that's right by the White House.  The closest Metro stop is called Federal Triangle walking out of the station, I was greeted by the huge, impressive buildings that are all over the place down here.  This is a square, essentially, that consists of the EPA, the Post Office and the Ronald Reagan building.  Stepping out into it, and into sunshine after a morning of pouring rain is quite awe inspiring.  I have a thing for buildings and there are a lot here to admire.

Once I got myself checked in, off I went to the Spy Museum.  The National Gallery will have to wait for another trip.  I completely enjoyed myself there.  I can't say I know a lot about the history of espionage, but now I really want to learn more.  The whole cloak and dagger stuff is fascinating and the museum covers it all off.  No pictures allowed, but I would have loved to take some.  I suppose I should have snuck in a hidden camera in my purse!  There was a very interesting display on them.  The whole museum is very interactive.  I think one of my favourite displays was on how the Russians ended up with the necessary knowledge from the Manhattan Project to build their own atomic bomb.  It's a small, dark square room and as I walked into it, pictures on the wall light up and are narrated and shows the links from person to person to the Russians. At the end, there is a countdown and the room flashes and shakes like the bomb has gone off.  Extremely cool.   It also has a gift shop where you actually want to buy things.  Nifty gadgets, like universal tools, tiny cameras and listening devices and universal handcuff keys.  I picked up a postcard for myself on the "Moscow Rules" which are the basic rules that CIA operatives in Moscow followed during the Cold War.  Mine are abbreviated, as there are something like 40 in total, but they go like this:

1)   Assume nothing
2)   Never go against your gut
3)  Everyone is potentially under opposition control
4)  Don't look back; you are never completely alone
5)  Go with the flow, blend in
6)  Vary your pattern and stay within your cover
7)  Lull them into a sense of complacency
8)  Don't harass the opposition
9)  Pick the time and place for action
10) Keep your options open

Truly words to live by!

In the evening I met with my good friend and we went to a Brazilian Churrascaria called Fogo de Chao.  He introduced me to Caipirinhas.  This is  a drink made with a whole lime, sugar and cachaca-a rum like distillation.  I am hooked.  We had a regular one, which I really loved, and a fruitier one, which was also good, but doesn't compare to the original.  It's just a perfect blend of tart and sweet and I'm afraid I got quite tipsy and far too chatty.

The food was also delicious.  Servers come around with different kinds of meat, like lamb, prime rib, filet mignon, chicken, sausages,etc., on huge skewers and then slice off whatever you want.  If anyone is every in DC, I recommend that you try this place.  It was great.

Here is a link for the recipe for the caipirinhas.  It also has substitutions in case you can't find cachaca.  If I wander by a liquor store today, I'm going to look for it as the price will be much better here than whatever we would pay at the LCBO.

http://www.maria-brazil.org/caipirinha.htm

I'm still jet lagged and waking up too early.  It's just after 7 so I'm going to toss on some clothes and wander around while there is no one around and take some pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment